Join us Oct 28-31 for a four day Twitter #slowchat talking Safiya Noble’s Algorithms of Oppression, on the #unboundeq hashtag.
This slow chat is led by Bonnie Stewart in Canada and several classes all over the world will participate. Educators and students alike are welcome to join in at any point.
We would like to request that participants engage with each other, but refrain from tagging Safiya Noble so as not to overload her timeline.
Possible texts/videos to use with students if you don’t plan to read the book (Bonnie’s students aren’t!) include:
- Short video (3 mins): Algorithms of Oppression
- Video (~17 mins): TED Talk: How Biased Are Our Algorithms?
- Video (~12 mins): Challenging the Algorithms of Oppression
- Longer video with Q&A (~1.30mins). President’s Speaker series at California State University, Monterey.
- Article by Noble and Sarah T. Roberts Engine Failure: On the Problems of Platfrom Capitalism
- Podcast (~1 hour). Weekly Economics Podcast: Algorithms of Oppression (May 2019)
If you have a favorite resource on this topic, please share it in the comments.